Tuesday, April 3, 2012

O-1 What's inside a hamburger?

 For this blog, I was asked to  write about a current event and respond to it. I picked a story from NPR about What's Inside  the 26 Ingredients of a school lunch burger?
I was very interested to find that there are twenty-six ingredients  inside of a hamburger.  The first ingredient was your ordinary ground beef. You can't make a hamburger without ground beef, can you? No, you can't. Water, the second ingredient, does not surprise me either. The third ingredient is rather intriguing.  Why would soy bean flour be in a hamburger? It doesn't make any sense to me. But it gets crazier. Ingredients four through fourteen are vitamins. I find that surprising because I thought hamburgers would only have one or two vitamins, not ten. These vitamins also have long names that people can't pronounce. Yet, the unfamiliar vitamins make people suspicious.  Yeast extract is also in a hamburger. Some people like me are allergic to yeast. If I my parents knew this when I was younger, they wouldn't give me a regular hamburger.  There's some more soy inside the hamburger, some sugar, and natural flavor. We don't know what that is. That makes me a little more suspicious.  The final ingredient is Disodum  Inosinate.
This story intrigues me.  What interested me was that these ingredients are used in our burgers at the grocery store and in our school lunches. this story made people wonder if our children are eating the right food. Schools are considering going from scratch instead of using prepackaged food.  This will really impact our school lunch program.

 Source: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/04/02/149717358/whats-inside-the-26-ingredient-school-lunch-burger

No comments:

Post a Comment